Monday, August 8, 2011

Kiwi fruit juice


Approaching middle age, I am trying to look up nutrition and benefits of foods that we eat. Although I include lot of fruits (as many as vegetables), there were certain fruits, I had not tried. Kiwi was one such fruit that I would almost pick up from the counter and drop back. Since they were always imported into the countries that I have lived, they came with a heavy price tag, for fruits. That may have been the primary reason and the fact that the seeds were crunchy and left an after taste was another put off. Thus, I might slice just one fruit in a fruit salad or add as topping to some custard.
When my blood sugar levels read high with a deranged liver last year, I studiously looked up low sugar, low GI foods to keep my sugar levels in control. Thus I read few articles on the kiwi fruit. Two such can be read in these links here and here. Now, health concern beats the reluctance hands down and I do not mind at all paying the cost for these.
However, I will eat the fruit as such, but it is a task to get my husband have them. So I blend them in juices and get him to drink those.
Last week, for some prayer offerings, I purchased six kiwi fruits and blended few of them in juice.

Skin three kiwi fruits. Blend them in a juicer with sufficient water. Add sugar to taste.
For added taste, squeeze the juice of one medium or two small limes. Adjust the sugar accordingly.



Serve chilled with a few thin slices of the fruit topped in the juice.
I do not strain the seeds after blending. But if you really do not like them, you may do so.

10 comments:

  1. This fruity drink look so nourishing..have always eaten Kiwi in deserts and ice cream..but a kiwi drink sounds so easy and refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect summer drink.......
    sailaja

    ReplyDelete
  3. The kiwi juice looks so refreshing and I am so thirsty looking at it.usually we end up eating this as a fruit which is sometimes a bit sour too.
    indu srinivasan
    kattameethatheeka.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. The juice would be crunchy due to the seeds and I would love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow very nice color...love it!

    http://anuzhealthykitchen.blogspot.com/2011/07/event-berries-strawberry-desserts.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum, beautiful color and refreshingly delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love juice with kiwi, feel like finishing that whole glass..

    ReplyDelete

Hello,
Welcome and thank you for taking time to drop by.
I appreciate your valuable comments and tips.
I sincerely hope to improve with them.
Hope we shall interact often.
Thanks once again,
Lata Raja.