Monday, February 8, 2010

Sukhiyan


Two months ago, I guess it is only that long ago, and hope not longer, a lady mailed and asked me to post the recipe for sukhiyan...I hope today I will type and post too. I am sorry Akhila for the delayed post.

At home this is made invariably on the Saraswathi pooja day, will be the sweet for the day and the sundal is always black channa. I made them during the Navrathri celebrations and clicked a few pictures saved them and forgotten about the dish all along.

I intend to schedule few posts before I am off to enjoy India, so without much of ado I shall go to the recipe.

Ingredients:
For the coconut filling:
Freshly grated coconut 1 cup
Powdered jaggery 1/2 cup
Cardamom powder 1/4 teaspoon
For the outer dough:
1/3 cup urad dhal
1 teaspoon rice
A pinch of salt
Other ingredients:
Oil for deep frying

Wash and soak the urad dhal and rice together for about an hour. Drain and grind to s fine and fluffy paste adding little water. Add the salt to the paste. Adding few more teaspoons of water make the batter just right to coat the fillings once made. The batter should be like that for dosas or even a tadbit thicker.
Take the powdered jaggery in a pan and add some water to it. Dissolve the jaggery and strain the solution to remove scum.
Place the pan on a high heat and make a thick syrup of the jaggery. Add the coconut and keeping the fire on medium, stir to blend them well. When the blend is thick and you are able to roll it in a ball with your fingers, remove from fire. Add the cardamom powder. Allow to cool.
Once cool, roll out small lime size balls of the filling.
Place oil in a pan for frying. When oil is hot and almost smoking, lower the heat to medium.
Dip one prepared ball in the batter and drop in the hot oil. Similarly make some more and drop them in the oil to fry. Turn them around and when the outer dough looks golden, remove the sukhiyans from the oil with a slotted ladle. Place them on an absorbent tissue to remove excess oil.
Repeat with all the dough and filling.
These are very tasty as snacks too. The filling can be made with some soaked and powdered dhal added to the coconut and jaggery. Adjust the ingredients as per required sweetness.


31 comments:

  1. I love these, I made then once for RCI Tamilnadu, they are truly delicious. Perfect to look at, thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg..this is my fav....i'm drooling...looks absolutely delicious...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice.. I love this sweet.. thanks for sharing this traditional...sweet

    ReplyDelete
  4. mom use to make the outer covering with maida.looks tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. New to me..looks tempting and delicious..got to try...

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mom usually makes these for Diwalis - yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lataji,
    Sukhiyan, looks really yummy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks so yumm. Long time since I had them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My favourite...havent had since long..

    ReplyDelete
  10. We make for diwali and my mom filling is different than usual Tamilian make! This one sounds good and tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We make this on Diwali day...Yummy sweet, love to gobble up some of those..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh wow thats my fav one too, me too make the same way, with maida as well as with wheat flour too.. I love everything..looks so so so yumm...

    ReplyDelete
  13. we love them..never tried my hands on it still..but v enjoy them when we go to mom's place

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh one of my fav's... I love them and would call them anytizers!!! Been a long time since I had or made them, am craving for some now!!!

    http://memoryarchieved.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. One of my favorite sweet. At home, its usually made only for devasom. I always think of making it on other days, but hardly make it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My favorite. Make my mouth water after seeing the pics :-(

    ReplyDelete
  17. looks good..so nice of you to schedule some posts before you come to India..Have a nice time.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks fantastic and so tempting !

    ReplyDelete
  19. this looks really yumm..i have tasted sukhiyan, but never made them..am bookam rking this recipe..will make it soon..

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the filling..sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love this, I do not make it often!!, have a great time in India, Good you have scheduled posts, or I will miss seeing nothing in your blog!!, I will be so disappointed

    ReplyDelete
  22. love these sweet dumplings..quite a treat for those sweet cravings..

    ReplyDelete
  23. Never tried this before but will definately book mark and try it.Looks great.

    ReplyDelete

Hello,
Welcome and thank you for taking time to drop by.
I appreciate your valuable comments and tips.
I sincerely hope to improve with them.
Hope we shall interact often.
Thanks once again,
Lata Raja.